Tuesday 19 September 2017

ELECTRIC SHOCK!


David, who used to run the grocery in Ein Hod, just popped in. He now lives in Tel Aviv and is working on finishing a script for a TV series.  We once collaborated on a film idea of his. We're good friends.
He just drove up from Tel Aviv to help his mother who lives in the village and asked him to tidy up her garden. Okay, okay, I'm getting there, have patience. So, David popped in to borrow an extension cable for the family leaf blower. I found one but it was missing a plug at one end. So, I rootled out a spare plug and expertly attached it to the other end of the cable. Then, being ever the professional, I went into the other room to test it.
I stuck it in the wall socket and, as I was cleverly holding the other end of the cable, received a giant electric shock and all the lights went out!
How could this have possibly happened, I hear you ask.
Well I'll tell you. You see, the idiot who is writing this had just attached, to one end of the cable, the same type of plug that was already on the other; so, there were now two male plugs, one at each end of the cable and thus one electric shock! QED
 Luckily it was not a severe shock, in fact the shock to my self-esteem was far greater. What a galloping twite!
Meanwhile in the kitchen, Rolanda, my dear wife of some 30 summers, (and I will not mention how many winters) and David had overheard my shriek.
"He's had an electric shock!" she said in an unsurprised tone, as I learned afterwards.
"No, no, he's joking!" Said David.
"Believe me, I know him, " she said firmly "he's had an electric shock!" Right as usual.
Sitting in the aftermath (I just looked up 'aftermath' in the online Dictionary and it means what I thought it did. "Aftermath" - the time after a catastrophic event. I.e. the day after I received my Arithmetic exam results.)

Sitting, as I was saying, in the aftermath of my recent brush with 'a catastrophic event', I contemplated my Twitery (the act of being a Twit) and realized that nothing can be done when you have no rules. Because whatever new page you decide to turn over will be quickly forgotten in the blurry days ahead.

No comments: